Sunday, November 2, 2008

NASA and Palo Alto ....

I had the pleasure of visiting NASA at Moffett Field in California for a day this past week. Moffett Field is located at the south end of San Francisco Bay, near Palo Alto. It is interesting not only for the NASA facility but also for the hangars that are on base. Hangar #1 was used for dirigibles and is so large fog sometimes forms near the ceiling. Today Google has a couple of aircraft that they keep on base. They pay NASA for the right as well as allowing NASA to have some scientific equipment kept on board.

While I was in Palo Alto I swung by a bike store. The store itself caught my eye but when I walked in they had a bike on display that debuted in the 2008 Tour de France. It is manufactured by Look. Talking to one of the guys that worked there he said it was not for sale but as equipped would run around $12,000. Of course I had to take pictures. The interesting thing is how the handlebars are engineered to be so integrated into the frame. There is very little space between any of the components. It was a fantastic looking bike.

Speaking of bikes - it has been a great few days to ride. I was out Friday and Saturday and hope to get out tomorrow. Yesterday when I was out riding I did hit a pothole and blew my back tire. Fortunately, since I was in Oakton, I had a spare tube and cartridge.

Looking forward to this week - Tika has her art evaluation tomorrow for the Governor's school tomorrow. Her work is excellent - I am sure she will do well and I will keep everyone up to date.

Hope everyone has a great week

---- cu

No comments: