Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Defense PKI Conference

Trying something new here.

Since I also have a link to my blog on my LinkedIn profile I thought I should throw in the occasional work related post.

This week I am in beautiful Miami at the DOD IPM (Identity Protection and Management) Conference. So far it has been a great couple of days. There is always the fact that I get to see old friends from all over the world, industry partners who I have not seen in a while and colleagues that I have worked with in the Defense community. Many of these conversations have been interesting and allow me to see how the work that I do links in to real life needs and can be leveraged to protect US warfighters as well as ensuring industry can deliver service to the US Defense Department.

Some of the recent sessions I have sat in on (and participated in) have been in regards to providing digital identities on smart cards for non-Federal entities. The intent is to ensure that these credentials can be trusted by Federal agencies if there is a need. The interesting element is that once again it seems the technology is the small part of the equation and that the policies and practices around issuance and use will be the more challenging pieces. It is good to be in on these discussions though since it is a topic that provides great personal interest.

Of course my evenings have not been full of meetings and I have had an opportunity to get out and enjoy Miami. Myself and Peter ran down to Lincoln Road for dinner last night. While walking to the restaurant I looked up and saw this beautiful crescent moon over the palm trees - reminded me of the South Carolina license plates. The picture does not do it justice though.

So one more day of sessions and meetings - and I expect it to be a busy one. Then back to DC.

.... cu

No comments: