Wednesday, April 15, 2009

No racing for a while .....

Well it looks like my first impression was right. Last September when I ran down Old Rag and hurt my leg I was pretty sure it was a small fracture. When the doctor looked at the x-rays back in October they said they could not see anything so I took it easy - well easy for me.

A few weeks back my leg was still bothering me so I went back to the doctor and she did a few tests to see if it was something else - Lyme disease, deep leg thrombosis etc - but it all came back clean. After the Cherry Blossom my leg was still hurting so I booked in to see an orthopedist who I went to yesterday. As soon as he touched my leg I cursed at him. So off for more x-rays.

As soon as the nurse pulled them up on the screen I could even see it - a two inch crack traveling up my bone. The good news was that it was already healing. The bad news was he told me no running for 6 weeks until I see him again. He did say I could ride as long as I was gentle on the leg. He debated the need for a boot for my foot which I managed to talk him out of for now but he did say if I did not behave then in 6 weeks I would be wearing one and the last thing I want is a boot on during the summer - so I will be behaving.

Yet another first - my first fracture of a leg bone :-)

... cu (just not on the race course)

No comments: