Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Loudoun County Residents - be warned

We have all heard the news about deer ticks and Lyme disease and if you are like me you have generally ignored it. OK - maybe when the kids come in you take a quick look to see if they have any ticks on them but that is usually if they have been out wandering around the neighbourhood, near the green spaces and tall grass. Well I was pretty much the same but now I will start thinking twice before I go out near any tall grass - and that second thought will be - PUT ON DEET!

As my doctor was referring me to an orthopedist for my leg she decided to be safe and just do some quick bloodwork. Well I am glad she did. It turns out that I had contracted Lyme disease. I am not sure if it is a remnant from hiking in Shenandoah last fall or if I picked it up this spring while out riding. This time of year it can even harder to see the ticks as they are nymphs and VERY small as you can see in the pic on the left.

So my doctor gave me the "here is what to do" speech to avoid further issues:
  • Wear socks and long pants when outside
  • When not wearing long pants and socks ensure you are using DEET on exposed skin
  • Do a check when you get home from being out in susceptible areas. Preferably, do this before getting inside
  • If a tick is found make sure to remove careful as not to crush them. Once removed ensure to watch the area for any signs of swelling or a bull's eye rash.
  • If any symptoms, rash, aching in the joints (believe me when it gets bad you will know - it is PAINFUL), general tiredness (I think this is from your body dealing with the pain) - then get to the Doctor for a check. Antibiotics will cure things pretty quickly.
I know I will still be spending as much time as I can outside and I hope you do too. Enjoy - and be safe.

.... cu

No comments: