Monday, February 28, 2011

A new start for Spring ...

OK that title may seem ominous but in reality it is not.

The whole idea is that so far this year I have been running more and now it is time to start doing other things to improve the quality of life - meaning training as well as relaxing and overall taking better care of myself. Part of this is to try and get ready for my big goal this year which is to run the Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October. To get there I have to make sure I am sensible about training, not overdoing it, but also not neglecting things. But there is also the aspect that my doing little things like this will improve how I feel about things in general which should help me relax and I think we all need to relax at least a bit.

It has been fairly timely in that one of the magazines I read monthly, Outside, had an article this month on different things that people have tried to improve their overall quality of life and fitness. These are not all things that I would do but there are elements of each that I can see fitting in to what I do - things like: take it easy on the coffee; have a glass of wine a day; get outside more often (take breaks during the day just to get outside); unplug a bit more and take a day off more frequently to do something fun. Like I said nothing crazy but things that add up so that life is a little less stressful.

And in turn of course these things should help my running, especially as I get ready for some races that are coming up.

I am looking forward to making some of these small changes just to see the overall impact it has on me and then in turn to those around me - maybe a little less coffee will help me be a little less on edge ;-)

OK - off for some water .... enjoy life :-)

No comments: