Sunday, August 21, 2011

My Birthday Weekend

Laura went out of her way to make this an absolutely wonderful birthday. Laura had told me to make sure I was able to have a short day at work on Friday and told me to have an overnight bag ready along with a jacket and tie. She gave me no idea where we were going or what we we doing.

So at 3 PM we hopped in the Mini and she started to give me directions which took us southwest from home. The drive was great as we headed towards Shenadoah. I had driven this way many times before to head to Old Rag for hiking but still had no idea where we were going. We eventually turned off to head into Washington VA and pulled into the Foster Harris House, a small bed and breakfast run by Chef John MacPherson and his wife Diane. John was very gracious and took us to our room which had a fresh bouquet of flowers and a wonderful bottle of CĂ´tes de Rhone. We unpacked a bit and relaxed with some of the wonderful wine before Laura suggested I get ready for dinner.

Dinner - what can I say. Laura had made reservations at the Inn at Little Washington. This is not just one of the best restaurants in the DC area but one of the top restaurants in the country (in fact rated in the top 10 by numerous magazines). This is somewhere that I have always wanted to go for dinner. I could not begin to describe the meal but it was perfect. Three courses with little teasers in between. Between us we dined on fresh beets, lamb carpaccio, foie gras, squab, veal and beef. Some wonderful Pinot Noir and Merlot brought it all together. The service was wonderful and the setting beautiful. After such a perfect dinner I was unable to decide on a dessert but Landry, our waiter, suggested that maybe there was something special in the kitchen. Along with a wonderful port he then brought out a small birthday cake. Laura had spoke to the pastry chef days before and arranged to have them make me a carrot cake, just as I liked them, with no pineapple. It was delicious and one of the most thoughtful things anyone has done for me.

Saturday morning we woke up to John and Diane's wonderful four course menu. They truly outdo any bed and breakfast with the food and presentation. After such a great breakfast I was ready to head home but Laura was not finished. Once we checked out of the B&B she directed me west again on 211 towards Sperryville. I immediately thought of all the wineries in the area but she had bigger and better surprises. We pulled into the east side of Sperryville and turned in by a sign for Copper Fox antiques. What I did not know was right next door was Copper Fox Distillery.

Run by Rick Wasmund, Copper Fox produces a single malt whiskey and a rye along with some pure spirits. They have been doing this for 10 years and have been getting rave reviews in the industry. Over the last two years they have gotten 91, 93 and 94 ratings on their whiskeys. Rick was there to give us a tour which was very informative and entertaining. Of course we left with a bottle of single malt and a promise to be back.

It has been a wonderful weekend so far and this was all the two days before my birthday.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Happy Birthday from Ottawa!!! Sounds like it was great.