Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Saturday morning run

After having picked up Tika at Union Station at 1:30 AM and getting to sleep at a little after 3 I got up this morning to run the 19th annual Van Metre 5 miler. It was nice that they started 8:30 so I did get a little over 4 hours sleep.

The morning was nice - about 50 degrees and sunny. It was a bit Windy but that did not make it any colder - just windy running - and in this case a course that never had the wind on your back.

There is always a good crowd for this run. Lots of families and some very fast individuals. I like this run because it is early in the year and helps give an indication of fitness. That indication is made right up front as shortly after the start you begin climbing and hit a nice hill from just around mile 1 to just before the 1.4 mile mark and then you get another smaller hill from mile points 1.9 to o2.2. After that it is undulating roadways until the last half mile which is all uphill, but small.

It was nice this year to have such a great day and such a great crowd. I finished, unofficially around 39 minutes which was about 2 minutes faster than last year. I never said I was fast but I figure if I get better as I get older then that is a good thing.

Next up - Cherry Blossom 10 miler.

No comments: