Friday, July 6, 2012

Adding another form of exercise

So last weekend myself Laura and Sammy took a course with LLBean. It was a intro to kayaking that was part of their discovery series. I have paddled quite a bit over the years so I knew I would love kayaking on the Occoquan. Sammy and Laura were a little more hesitant but it did not take them long to love it. Being the outdoor person I am that was great news since now it meant we had another outdoor activity that we could do with the kids - I think even Kris will give it a try.

So this week we got some kayaks. We got two bigger ones for myself and La and a smaller one for the girls. The girl's kayak we picked up at the store so the next day I was anxious to get out in it. Normally on the days when I do not run I would go to the gym and do some cardio but yesterday I decided to just take the kayak to a local reservoir and spend an hour kayaking.

What a great idea this was - the reservoir was calm and silent. No one else was on the water. The sun was out and the fish were jumping. It was very peaceful. I spend about an hour cruising the lower part of the reservoir, doing 5 minute sprints every now and then. It was a great workout. Now rather than going to the gym on my off days I will likely just grab a kayak and head to the reservoir for an hour of paddling. Then of course on the weekends I will be able to go out with La and maybe one of the girls.

It can hardly get better

No comments: