Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day ... aka BBQ ... Weekend

It was a busy and a bit smoky weekend. Labor Day weekend is the usual weekend for friends of ours to throw their end of summer BBQ. This is Dave and Jill's fourth year of hosting this at their place in Maryland and I think (Laura will correct me if needed) we have made it every year. Dave trained as a chef and is very good at creating a lot of good food for a lot of people. This year Dave had some great chicken souvlaki and some fantastic pulled pork shoulder and many other meats. And then of course sides galore - potatoes, salads and countless desserts. It was a great Saturday afternoon and motivated me for Sunday.

Sunday Kris was home from Mason and she was looking forward to a home cooked meal. We had some lamb ribs and picked up some burgers and lit the barbecue. We added in some roasted potatoes and grilled squash and ended the meal with some homemade vegan chocolate cupcakes. After lunch Kris, Sam and I headed out to see ParaNorman. It was so funny - we had a great day of it.

Monday was a day to relax ... in our way. Laura headed to the gym and I decided to try a new waterway so I packed up the Jeep with the small kayak and headed down to the Occaquan River where I put in just north of the Bull Run Marina. I paddled up the river from there passing by a number of nesting areas for herons and egrets and also saw cranes and eagles. It is a great place to paddle, even with the low water, as the river is only about 30-40 ft across with high shorelines so you get a real sense of being away from everything. It will be beautiful in a few weeks when the leaves start to change. When Laura and I go I will make sure I put in somewhere else as the put in site this time involved a good hike down through the woods and across some mudflats.

After we both got home we took care of some things and sat down and enjoyed Wanderlust. It was pretty funny .... and we only interrupted our watching to get some fresh tomatoes from our garden to make some homemade pizza sauce and then pizzas. It was a wonderfully relaxing day.

It was a fantastic weekend and next weekend will get more interesting when Sam and I take a whitewater kayaking class - nose plugs optional but suggested. Yikes!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: