Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nice to be ...


running again.

I started back nice and slow the weekend before Halloween. It had been 9 weeks since I had been running. People who are not runners or who do not enjoy the outside will not understand how hard that is. Yes it is 34 degrees out when I go out - and yes I am still wearing shorts when I go out. It is hard to describe how relaxing it is - the fresh air - the fall leaves - the sky - the sun when it shines down on you or as it makes that silhouette of you running - these were all things that I missed.

Of course I do need to be careful - so no I am not doing 40 mile weeks - in fact they are more like 10 mile weeks right now until I make sure everything is ok.

It was weird starting back the week before Halloween as that was the week before the Marine Corps Marathon. MCM was something that was hard to give up this year. I was 90% ready to run it with the leg fracture and Lyme disease. But common sense got the better of my desire and I gave my bib to a young Marine who was just finishing up basic and had just gotten to the area from Parris Island. Since I did not ask if I could use his name I won't but the Pfc did a great job in what was his first 26.2. He sent a picture of himself and his Marine buddies that ran together - he is in black and when I see him I think of an old quote by Rear Admiral Stark, USN: "Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on the defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

I guess it was timely to get this picture from him on Remembrance Day weekend. It is a good opportunity to thank him, and all the Marines, Captain Ashley Lincoln (I am told it is now Commander Lincoln - Congrats), and all the Air Force members and all the other service members here, in Canada and in the NATO countries who serve.

No comments: